Legends - 1x01
The woman on the left is a mother from Miami who was so desperate to feed her hungry family that she was trying to steal a lot of food.
The woman on the right is Miami-Dade County Police Officer Vicki Thomas. Officer Thomas was about to arrest Jessica Robles but changed her mind at the last minute.
Instead of arresting her, she bought Robles $100 worth of groceries:
“I made the decision to buy her some groceries because arresting her wasn’t going to solve the problem with her children being hungry.”
And there’s no denying they were hungry. Robles’ 12 year old daughter started crying when she told local TV station WSVN about how dire their situation was:
“[It’s] not fun to see my brother in the dirt hungry, asking for food, and we have to tell him, ‘There is nothing here.’”
Officer Thomas says she has no question that what she did was right:
“To see them go through the bags when we brought them in, it was like Christmas. That $100 to me was worth it.”
But Officer Thomas did have one request:
“The only thing I asked of her is, when she gets on her feet, that she help someone else out. And she said she would.”
And guess what? The story gets even better.
After word got out about what happened people donated another $700 for Jessica Robles to spend at the grocery store.
And then best of all a local business owner invited her in for an interview and ended up hiring her on the spot as a customer service rep.
She started crying when he told her:
“There’s no words how grateful I am that you took your time and helped somebody out. Especially somebody like me.”
And to think it all started with one veteran police officer trusting her “instinct” instead of going “by the book”.
I N S T I N C T
Damn I could use another season!!!
1. My Cats Tray and Percival even though it’s impossible to have a clean home with their fur and toys everywhere
2. Phillip especially the spot between his shoulder blades and his scent
3. Books, their words, scent and feel. Bookstores and libraries too bring such a peaceful content to me.
4. Anything Arthurian-I’m a total geek. Especially the Pre Raphaelite paintings that Leighton and Waterhouse did.
5. Traveling, walking where the ancients walked but then coming home makes me really happy.
6. Tea especially on a stormy night.
7. The sound that snow makes crunching under boots
8. The smell of fragrant wood and kindling burning
9. Peanut Butter and chips sandwiches-sounds gross but It’s delicious!
10. Leonard Cohen’s voice-my gods the man is a genius and his voice alone can send me into rapture never mind how amazing a poet he is.
11. Paradise City by Guns N’ Roses. Reminds me of my wild youth
12. The satisfaction of saying the word “fuck” it’s a really good feeling word when you need to vent!
13. The amazing friendships I made via the internet, I’m truly amazed at how deep the connections have been with you beauties even when the fandom has fallen apart and flat for me-you guys stick with me and I love you truly!
14. The art of letter writing. Just putting pen to paper is such a good feeling but actually getting a letter in the mail or a little hand written note is such a beautiful gift.
15.And because I am so mature-Disney Princess films! Especially Beauty and the Beast, Frozen and Sleeping Beauty. And Winnie the Pooh cartoons. I’m not ashamed that I’m usually the one with the biggest goofy smile on my face in the Disney store. The kids must think I’m crazy!